Is the right kind of diaper really important? Is there a big difference in diaper brands? Well, consider this: Babies generally spend the first two years of their life in diapers (approximately 2% of an average lifetime), so it’s extremely important that you choose the right type of diaper, whether you have a boy or a girl. And, yes, there is a fairly noticeable difference in several of the more popular diaper brands. Here we will discuss some of those differences and the factors which should always be considered when selecting the proper diaper.
Choosing the Right Diaper: Some Things to Consider
Finding the right diaper for your baby boy or girl can be tricky and is usually a process of trial and error. Unfortunately, due to the high price of disposable diapers, this trial period can also be quite expensive. Keep in mind that while advice from friends can be helpful it is not always fool-proof, as each baby is unique. The following factors are just some of the things which should be considered before you make your diaper purchase:
- Size. Diapers are available in many different sizes, ranging from preemie to large toddlers. The size of the diaper is determined by your child’s weight and not their age, and as the size of the diaper goes up, you’ll find fewer diapers in each package.
- Absorbency. Diaper brands differ in absorbency and you’ll find that some of the more inexpensive brands don’t quite stack up. Many of these “cheap” diapers will pool and cause leaks through the leg holes.
- Material. Disposable diapers are made of either plastic or a “cloth-like” material which is really nothing more than a super-strong paper. The cloth-like diapers are newer and are more comfortable on your baby’s skin.
- Closure Types. Depending on the type of diaper you choose, you’ll notice two different closure options. The most popular is an adhesive tape closure, but for older children, who may want to remove the diaper several times a day during potty training, so you may want to go with a re-sealable Velcro closure.
- Scented vs. Unscented. Most disposable diapers are unscented but a few brands offer a scented variety as well. Some even come complete with a built in lotion to help protect against diaper rash.
- White or Designed. When we think of diapers we think “white,” but diapers are also available in a number of different colors and designs. Older children will get a kick out of a diaper with their favorite Disney or cartoon character on it.
As you can see, there are many factors which go into choosing the right diaper for your boy or girl and several options to choose from. A good way to go about choosing the right diaper for your particular needs—one which won’t break the bank—is is to make a list of all the features you’re looking for and then go online to research the least expensive brands which offer those features. The diaper decision is definitely not one which should be taken lightly and proper planning now could save you a lot of time, money and aggravation in the future.