The U.S. immigration process can be very lengthy and quite complicated. Federal laws require aliens to jump through a number of legal hoops before they can even be considered for permanent residency. An Austin immigration lawyer can help by monitoring the application process for individuals that have applied for a green card with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Important Tips to Choosing the Right Attorney
Once you have decided to hire an Austin immigration lawyer, there are several ways to go about finding one that will suit your needs. Some helpful tips include doing the following:
- Friends & Family—Asking family members or friends that have already gone through the immigration process might prove helpful. Check with co-workers to find out if they have any suggestions for finding an Austin immigration lawyer to handle your case.
- Professional Groups—Many attorneys are members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA). Their website makes it easy to find a professional that specializes in the area of law pertaining to your specific situation.
- Free Consultation—Most lawyers will offer prospective clients a free initial consultation to discuss the case. You may want to ask how much experience he or she has in dealing with the specific type of issue that you need help with.
- Check Their Education—Law firms usually have a website where they publish information about the attorney’s background and education. This is a good place to find out about the lawyer’s credentials and what areas of law they specialize in practicing.
- Attorneys Fees—Find out if the attorney charges an hourly rate or if they will handle your case for a specific flat fee. Occasionally they may require a retainer be paid up front.
Questions to Keep in Mind
It may be difficult to know what to ask ahead of time but some common questions that should be addressed are:
Who will be handling my case?
Large law firms that are juggling huge caseloads tend to hand off the brunt of the work to assistants and paralegals. Clients that are paying for the attorney’s services are entitled to their expertise, not left with being handled by someone without a law degree.
How much experience do they have?
Find out if they have experience in the area that you need help. Ask about their past efforts and whether they were successful. Nobody wants to hire an Austin immigration lawyer that has a list of deported clients.
Be sure to check if the attorney has ever been placed on disciplinary action. This can be done through the state bar website which can also be a valuable resource for general information.
Getting Help From an Austin Immigration Lawyer
The immigration laws frequently change, so it’s important to have help from an experienced Austin immigration lawyer. The United States immigration system is overseen by multiple government agencies and it may be difficult to navigate without assistance. Don’t wait until it’s too late for a legal professional to step in. People who procrastinate may find themselves facing deportation.